Phone Weirdness

Discussion in 'Xperia arc and Xperia arc S' started by Dave Bellamy, Jun 5, 2011.

1. Dave Bellamy

Dave Bellamy New Member

I am (very) new to the Arc and indeed Android, having just bought an Arc to replace my long serving Nokia N900. I have a bug and I am not sure if its related to Gingerbread or if its a hardware issue. Perhaps someone with more experience can advise.

The phone seems to randomly launching things without any input from me. I will be in a menu and it will spontaneously go into one of the sub-menus as if the touch screen has been pressed. Also, the Media app will launch repeatedly (as if its being pressed). I have placed the phone flat on a surface and watched it start launching things on its own.

I suspect is a screen fault, but has anyone else had similar problems and if so what was the solution? I am thinking of returning it as I think its just faulty.

2. LiveSquare

LiveSquare Member

Nope. I've Arc for more than a month and never ever experienced such behavior. May be it's best to start from the point of Software before we come to conclution it could be hardware related.

Try flashing your phone again (Repairing the firmware). Download PC Companion or SEUS (Sony Ericsson Update Service) from their and follow onscreen instructions to repair your firmware.

Please take not that this process WIPES EVERYTHING in your phone. Your SD Card will be untouched. So take care of your data (Contacts, SMS, Call logs, etc) via backup.

Try not to install any applications (just to make sure that it's not some application trying to behave funny) and do a through test.

If after this the issue continues, then I'm sorry, you may need to bring your Arc to a service centre for repairs.

3. Dave Bellamy

Dave Bellamy New Member

Thanks for the reply. I think as I have only had it for a few days, I will simply take it back to the store and get a replacement unit. Hopefully a new unit will be more stable.

4. LiveSquare

LiveSquare Member

Ok. That's even better :D.

5. Dave Bellamy

Dave Bellamy New Member

OK, so I went back to the store I bought the phone from. Explained the issues - random launching of applications (particularly from whichever app was in the left hand corner of the main launch bar) and a general locking up of the screen and guess what - the phone worked flawlessly! They were not going to do anything for me and suggested resetting the phone, reformatting the card and if that fails sending it away for repair. I got it home and it started to play up again. I think I will try the fireware repair idea suggested but I am on a Mac and the SEUS seems to be a Windows centric approach. Any ideas how us Mac-heads should proceed?
    Thanks

6. LiveSquare

LiveSquare Member

I'm afraid there isn't one for Mac at the moment. You have to find a PC to do the job. :D

7. Dave Bellamy

Dave Bellamy New Member

Well that's just discrimination :D
    I will have the use a machine at work.

8. Ken Taylor

Ken Taylor New Member

I've had this problem with a HTC Desire when it had a cracked screen. For quite a while I couldn't see any crack and the problem was occasional. Eventually the crack became visible and I could plainly see the cause of the problem. replacing the screen was the solution.