Upgrading to ICS without lag and bugs?

Discussion in 'Xperia arc and Xperia arc S' started by GSM, Dec 20, 2012.

1. GSM

GSM New Member

Hi all,

Okay, so about 3 months ago I upgraded my Xperia Arc S from 2.3.4 to ICS using the official update from Sony-Ericsson.

However, it was very, very laggy, the screen wasn't as responsive, and quite often a lot of my apps would stop responding (especially web browsers!), and the contact list/phone would take an infuriatingly long time to load at times (very annoying when you REALLY need to make a phone call), and would sometimes even do this when I was trying to answer a call.

Anyway, the other day I downgraded back to 2.3.4 using these instructions: http://www.android.gs/downgrade-xperia-arc-s-to-official-gingerbread-2-3-os/

The phone is now back to normal - no crashing, fast response, phone/contact list loads immediately, etc.

However, obviously ICS is a better OS in terms of features and functionality. So I'd like to upgrade it again, but don't want it to be laggy, etc, as it was.

I know there are different ways to update it using custom roms and custom kernels etc, and I'd love to do this, but I just don't know much about how to do it - which ROM, which kernel, etc? I don't know which are the best ones, and I also don't know how to go about updating to ICS using this method.

Any instructions/advice?