Sony Mobile has confirmed that it has begun to roll out the Android 4.4.2 KitKat firmware update to a number of handsets including the Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR and Xperia Tablet Z. As well as the standard KitKat features and performance tweaks, the update brings the PlayStation 4 launch animation and live wallpaper as seen in the Xperia Z2, Z1 and Z Ultra. The firmware also includes the latest updates to the native app portfolio and brings compatibility to SmartWear apps such as Lifelog. As always, the rollout starts in selected markets and hits other regions gradually.
Update: The new firmware is rolling out with build number 10.5.A.0.230. As of writing, the KitKat update is currently live for the Xperia Z, Xperia ZL and Xperia Tablet Z (LTE) only. Unfortunately Xperia ZR and Xperia Tablet Z (Wi-Fi) owners will have to wait a little longer.
Sony’s support pages have been updated with the changelog below.
– Android 4.4.2 KitKat with many new features and enhancements
– Many camera enhancements including Creative Effect video
– Personalise your messages now with colourful emojis
– Take screenshots easily with the built-in screenshot menu
– The latest updates to many apps including email, calendar and more…