Unlocking the AT&T Xperia Ion

Discussion in 'Xperia ion' started by Ruben G. Angulo, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Ruben G. Angulo

Ruben G. Angulo New Member

So I just bought my Xperia Ion from a Sony store and it is locked to AT&T. I knew that before I bought it and I was planning on unlocking it to use with my T-Mobile SIM card. But it is becomign more difficult than I though, none of the online unlocking companies has been able to provide me with an unlocking code, they have just returned my money. Does anyone know if there is any other way I can unlock it?

I was ready to get rid of my Xperia X10...but now the Ion is just sitting on my desk waiting to be unlocked...not fun at all haha!

2. SwagDragon

SwagDragon New Member

I'm in the same position as you. I picked up the Ion and have the same difficulty. What makes it worst is I am a canadian resident who opened up a AT&T prepaid account. Did you ever find a resolution to your problem of unlocking this device? Please tell me if you have it would make life easier. I have tried plenty of unlocking stores in Toronto but no luck. I've scoured XDA- developers and tried to do my own homework on online sites but I am weary of there claims to unlock it. I faxed proof of purchase to AT&T but they don't have/don't want to provide the code as it is an exclusive device. I am hoping to get a favorable email from unlockitnow.com. Depending on the response I will take the plunge. Should I get feedback I will definately inform you what I find out.

3. Ruben G. Angulo

I have done my share of the research too. I talked to AT&T and talked to the Sony Xperia division, and they pretty much blame each other. I tired unlockitnow.com and three similar agencies, they have all returned my money because NO ONE has a code. I have tried local stores also here in San Diego and nothing. I did not buy a prepaid plan though, I just bought it at the Sony store and pay full retail for it. My conclusion after much trying is that, there is no way of getting the unlocking code....YET. I'm sure at some point in the future all these "unlockitnow" agencies will have a code. But since the phone is exclusive to AT&T it is probably going to take a while. So what I have decided to do is return the phone to the Sony Store, get my $500 back and buy one unlocked from eBay for around $600. This will be the international version of it. So instead of being LT28at it will be the LT28i...not many differences though in fact I think the LT28i is better just because it does not come with 10 extra applications (some of which you cannot delete) from AT&T. Be careful though, if you decide to buy from eBay unlock, make sure it is a top rated seller, and that the phone is actually the 4GLTE version and not just 4G. There was a version that came out in Thailand that is not LTE. In case you want it, after all the research, I've concluded this is the best seller:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/16081703786...X:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_2622wt_1325

4. Ruben G. Angulo

And even if it is not the LTE version....who cares, right now AT&T is the only one with LTE capability anyway. I care more about the other functionalities of the phone like Bravia engine, 12MP camera, NFC etc.

5. SwagDragon

SwagDragon New Member

Wow thank you for informing me about unlockitnow.com. That was the only site i had a slight amount of faith in. When you ordered the NCK code through them was it the Factory Unlock code that was $59 from Sony? How long is the general turn around for these companies to reimburse you? I think you are definately correct in saying there wont be a code for a while. Hopefully there exclusive rights is taking all of North America in consideration because by end of this month Rogers in Canada is getting the same device LTE intact. That should hopefully allow the information to be finally accessible. From reading many forums it seems this is a regular problem with AT&T/Sony with there bogus exclusive jargon. I noticed many posts for the Xperia Arc, Play and even older X10 that seem to have at one point been "exclusive". I do agree that the LT28I is good more so for the reason of a unlockable bootloader to root the device or place other firmware on it. I can't return it back to the retailer. In my case it was some Upstate PCS AT&T dealer. I could technically place it on Kijiji/Ebay to sell but I'll endure for a bit longer. I know there will be a worldwide unlocked LTE variant. Im not sure of the code number for that at the moment. I'd prefer to wait it out for that. Thank you for your added notes. I know you no longer are in the same position as you returned the device. Hopefully others will take notice of these posts we wrote and add there share of resolutions or problems.

6. Ruben G. Angulo

I just checked and I bought codes from worldGSMcodes.com, cellphoneunlock.net, and mobile gadgets co, all of them for around $30. I received the money back within a week, I'm still waiting for one of them because they told me they would send an actual unlocking SIM, but I don't think that is going to work. We'll see. I'll wait a little bit longer and return it if nothing happens, then just probably wait for a while until I start seeing more unlocked versions on eBay, especially if the LTE version shows up. Let me know how it goes with unlockitnow.com

7. SwagDragon

SwagDragon New Member

Yeah the worldgsmcodes.com i was weary of. I've read some reviews on some sites such as cellcorner but majority of mixed reviews seems to put down these companies based on not providing results or poor customer service. I noticed alot of these annoying websites don't state that its specifically LT28AT as oppose to generic official name "Xperia Ion Lte". Today I have to discuss the results with a store I went to that needed two days to get the NCK code. That store i went to claims as a back up they have some type of way of flashing a BIOS/sim lock code to acccept any sim. (I've never actually read anything like that on the net....probably talking crap lol). My concern with trusting these websites is if there is some large ridculous struggle to recieve a refund should they fail. If I recieve a email reply that would be abit of an incentive to trust these websites. Ultimately should I do it I will select the official Sony Factory unlock method which is $59/69 and takes a 1-10 day turn around. I will definately keep you and whomever else reads this post informed.

8. Ruben G. Angulo

I pay with paypal, in case there is a conflict it can be resolved quickly and make sure I get my money back. Definittely keep me posted of you find anything. I'll let you know if I receive that "unlocking SIM"

9. SwagDragon

SwagDragon New Member

Well epic fail.I used unlockitnow.com sony ericsson worldwide nck factory unlock option @ $59. I never realized it is a subsidary group of mobile gagdets. They sure are speedy at pointing the finger and stating i gave them the wrong imei+ serial number. they offered me a unlock sim option. I declined it for a refund. It is quite annoying these websites list the Ion. They all refer to the already unlocked international variant. Even more annoying is if websites choose t reply to an email it is nothing more than a lie. Seems like now all we can do for now should people want to unlock the lt28at is wait it out for the unlock codes to be eventually released by Sony/AT&T. should a method appears to unlock it before then i will definately let you all know. Perhaps we should oone retailers that are a waste of time.

10. Ruben G. Angulo

Yes! It seems as all of them are connected somehow. That's why I paid with paypal, it is much more easy to resolve conflict over paypal, 99% you get your money back without much pain. I do still have yet to receive my money back from unlockitnow.com I really haven't asked for it because I was waiting for the unlocking SIM to arrive but it seems it hasn't so, I will ask for it. I will retunr the phone to the Sony store and in a couple of months either buy the international version from someone on eBay or see if there is an unlocking code for AT&T

11. SwagDragon

SwagDragon New Member

I emailed cellunlocker.net admittedly so they were prompt and honest. They don't have access to the unlock codes for the Ion. They also said some service/server for Sony Ericsson/Mobile is globally down. Although I do believe that they all use the same resources to get unlock codes I will still keep hope alive a bit longer in the hopes that one website out there has the ability to unlock this device or a legitamate alternative. As usual I will keep on seeking more information and post the results here.

12. Kedin Sánchez

Kedin Sánchez New Member

Anything yet?

13. SwagDragon

SwagDragon New Member

Well..... yeah no new information. I ended up getting the Rogers Wireless variant of the device as It seems AT&T has it on lock for now. Basically i am in a position to try and sell the AT&T variant. The rogers variant it LT28I is currently locked to rogers as well as the bootloader. Id expect a faster unlock for the rogers variant as for now its exclusive but rumour other carriers in Canada will get it also. From reading other scenarios in the USA it seems there was difficulty with the Xperia X10 and R800 Play. Based on history i would assume the unlock codes would take the same amount of time for the LT28AT. Unfortunately I dont know the answer for the time it took to release the unlock codes for those to devices. I am still searching for away to unlock the AT&T version to post it here.

14. kavitha

kavitha New Member

Hi don't worry i am here to help you unlock your Sony Ericsson mobile .I recommend you to visit Superunlockcodes.com here they ask you the IMEI number of your mobile .Then at last they deliver you code to unlock your Sony Ericsson Xperia Ion mobile from AT&T network lock .

15. Prerana

Prerana New Member

Hi Kavita,

Thanks for the post. Did they unlock your SOny Ericsson Ion?
    There are 4 options on their website. Which service did you use? The one with 10.94 $?
    Please help.

16. dptrevisan

dptrevisan New Member

Hi guys. For who doesn't know to find a serial number on Xperia ION, this is the way:
    APPLICATIONS -> SETTINGS -> ABOUT PHONE -> STATUS -> "SERIAL NUMBER" is below on this page.
    That is it! Fun.

17. dptrevisan

dptrevisan New Member

Hi everybody. I just find (finally) who can unlock the Xperia Ion LT28at, from AT&T. Last september I bought a Xperia Ion and I was disappointed because nobody could unlock it. But next week I found my UNLOCK CODE. If someone wants to unlock yours, go to http://www.sonyericssoncodes.com/. My Xperia Ion now is unlocked. Thanks SonyEricssonCodes!

18. Marito

Marito New Member

I unlocked my xperia ion in www.sonyericssoncodes.com and I'm using my cell phone in a carrier outside the United States. Unlock is simple and works.

19. Marito

Marito New Member

Anyone know when they release the update to Android Jelly Bean for Xperia Ion ?

20. claudia

claudia New Member