I finally got my hands on an Xperia Z LTE tablet (model SGP351, the U.S. version that supports both AT&T and T-Mobile). However, I can't get the microSIM card -- needed for cellular data access -- inserted into the slot. The slot itself is barely high enough to handle the standard 0.76 mm-thick microSIM itself, but the Xperia requires that it be placed in a thin and flimsy tray which prevents the assembly from fitting in. The user guide explicitly states that inserting the card without the tray may damage the device and will void the warranty. This begs the question: is the problem in my device, or is it a design flaw? Has anyone actually used the SGP351 model with an installed microSIM card? I'm suspicious because the Xperia Z LTE tablet has been (A) so hard to find, and (B) discontinued even before the rumored new model comes out. If so, please advise me on how to get the card properly installed. Thanks.
Hi jeffq i have the lte version and yes they can be a bit fiddly but perceiver but do not force it and it will fit where did you get one in the end
It doesn't fit in this one. I spent 15 minutes trying to get it in on the tray. Even if you're dexterous enough to slide both the tray and card in the entry point without having the card fall out or push up due to having to clasp the end closest to you, it only goes in a few mm before the tray won't budge. It starts flexing instead, because it's practically paper thin, unlike the card, which can easily be pushed in (even accidentally) leaving the tray behind. If my tablet had been powered on, that would've violated the warranty right there. I can't see how it can be done without super-gluing the card into the tray, and I'm not sure that would work either. From eBay. You have to do an advanced search (including the text of the listing) for "SGP351" to ensure you don't get the European or Japanese version. Most of the ones I've seen have been European (SGP321), including all that are available through Amazon.com. Or you can buy it from CDW for $630 plus shipping plus sales tax (nearly $700 for me).
Eureka! I finally got the microSIM and tray into the slot! I had to use a pair of needle-nose pliers to hold the near side of the tray with my right hand, balance the tablet at an oblique angle with my left, and use my left thumb to firmly push the tray+card combo in about halfway. Then holding the tablet in place with the heels of my hands while pushing very hard but carefully on the two, I got the tray itself to go in with the card until they were fully seated. I seriously doubt most people would feel comfortable using as much force as it took me to get these in, or have the dexterity to do it without bending the tray or accidentally pushing the microSIM all the way in without the tray, thereby voiding their warranty. Maybe it was a problem with my tablet, but it certainly makes me wonder how many people returned these LTE-capable tablets for similar reasons, and whether that contributed to their early discontinuation.
We don't have the LTE tablet, but the sim-tray in Sony's smartphones can be equally as tricky. We often have to use some tweezers or a small tip from a pen or pencil to make sure it goes all of the way in!