The Sony Xperia Z2 has come top in the latest DxOMark rankings, knocking one of the best camera phones ever made, the Nokia 808 Pureview, into second place. The Xperia Z2 achieved a score of 79 points, enough to supplant the Nokia 808 Pureview at 77 points. “Although the new Xperia Z2 takes the coveted top spot by just two points it’s a significant achievement nonetheless,” says DxOMark.
DxOMark bases their score on a mixture of photo and video performance. DxOMark said that the “revised Z2 impresses with its color and detail preservation, both outdoors and in more challenging lighting, and it retains the fast autofocus of the Z1 while improving its precision. Noise levels remain low with none of the objectionable chroma noise found on some rivals; only some fine-grained luminance type noise is noticeable at times.”
Looking at the individual scores, on the photos side the Xperia Z2 took joint first place with the Nokia 808 Pureview. Oddly on the video side, the Xperia Z2 achieved a lower score than the Xperia Z1 coming third overall (GoPro Hero3 was the winner here). A great result overall for the Xperia Z2.
DxOMark Xperia Z2 assessment
• Impressive detail preservation outdoors. In low light, a high level of details remains visible even if a loss is noticeable compared to outdoors.
• Reasonable noise levels in all conditions. No chroma noise and fine grain size.
• Fast and responsive autofocus with limited errors.
• Good overall exposure.
• Pleasing colors in all conditions.
• Good overall flash performance: exposure, color, white balance, noise and detail.
• Occasional white balance inaccuracies indoors. Outdoors, a slight blue tint is noticeable in certain images.
• Slight color shading noticeable with tungsten lighting.
• Noticeable fringing, ringing and maze artifacts.
• Good stabilization, especially during walking motion.
• Good texture reproduction.
• Low noise levels.
• Autofocus moves step-by-step rather than continuously, and is unpredictable.
• White balance inaccuracies with foliage under daylight illuminant.
• Visible color shading.
• Some aliasing evident.